The Department of Medicinal Chemistry has excellent facilities for research in these major areas of medicinal chemistry. Faculty have been highly successful in attracting extramural research support for the past several years.
Faculty and Research Areas
- Jane Aldrich – Peptide Chemistry and Drug Discovery and Development
- Yousong Ding – Bioactive Secondary Metabolites
- Robert W. Huigens III – Natural Product Inspired Drug Discovery
- Margaret James – Drug Biotransformation and Toxicology
- Chenglong Li – Structure-based Computer-aided Drug Design and Discovery
- Hendrik Luesch – Marine Natural Products Drug Discovery and Development
- Christopher R. McCurdy – Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Development
- Chengguo (Chris) Xing – Pharmacognosy Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery
Department Equipment & Facilities
- HPLC systems (Shimadzu)
- ChemiDoc Imager MP Imaging (BioRad)
- NMR spectrometer (Bruker Avance NEO 600 MHz)…coming soon!
- 3200 QTRAP triple quad/linear ion trap LC/MS/MS (Applied Biosystems)
- High resolution LC Q-Exactive orbitrap mass spectrometer (ThermoSci)
- Optima MAX-XP ultracentrifuges (Beckman Coulter)
- Scintillation counters (Beckman)
- Fluorescence/UV microplate readers (Biotek/PerkinElmer)
- Polarimeter (PerkinElmer)
- Anaerobic growth chamber (Whitley DG250 workstation)
- Autoclaving facilities
- Tissue culture lab facilities
State-of-the-art equipment are available in individual research faculty laboratories.